Immigration Employment Law

Connecticut Immigration Law Attorney Provides Step-by-Step Assistance to Employees and Employers

Helping you navigate the application process for obtaining legal status based on employment

Employment-based immigration is often a lengthy and complicated process. There are many avenues for obtaining a green card for employment reasons, and each requires specific certifications, forms, and petitions that may need to be completed in a timely manner. At the Law Offices of Douglas R. Penn, LLC, I have extensive experience helping all types of workers obtain permanent residence and nonimmigrant work visas to live and work in the United States.

How to obtain a temporary work visa or permanent residence based on employment

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States, provides several ways for workers to obtain a green card, allowing them to live and work here permanently. Depending on your specific background and circumstances, you may be able to obtain a visa based on:

  • A job offer – If you’ve received a job offer for permanent employment, you can apply for permanent residence by obtaining certification from your employer and filing a petition as an alien worker.
  • Investment – Investors and entrepreneurs who create new jobs in the United States may be able to obtain a visa.
  • Self-petition – Petitions based on extraordinary ability (EB-1A visa) and national interest waivers are referred to as self-petitions; they may be granted to a select number of people who do not have permanent job offers or whose work is temporary in nature.
  • Specialized jobs – There are many job categories for which you may be allowed to obtain permanent residence. They include:
    • Religious workers
    • International organization employees
    • Panama Canal employees
    • Physicians with national interest waivers
    • Afghan/Iraqi translators
    • Broadcasters
    • Iraqis who assisted the U.S. government
    • NATO-6 Nonimmigrants

Students and exchange visitors may also be able to work while they are in the United States if they receive permission from their respective Designated School Official or Responsible Officer.

Understanding employer responsibilities when hiring foreign workers

If American employers wish to hire foreign workers, they must first obtain a permanent labor certification from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). Employers may be able to obtain this certification if the DOL finds that there is a lack of qualified U.S. workers in a specific job category. Once an employer has permanent labor certification, they can seek immigration authorization from the USCIS. This is often a time- and labor-intensive process that may involve several challenges before certification is successful. I work diligently to help you successfully navigate the process and achieve the best possible results in a timely manner.

Turn to a well-respected Connecticut immigration lawyer for unparalleled legal advice and support

If you have questions about your options for obtaining permanent residence or a temporary work visa based on employment, it is important to seek assistance from a knowledgeable and experienced immigration lawyer to ensure that your rights are protected. To schedule a consultation at the Law Offices of Douglas R. Penn, LLC, call 203-973-7483 or contact me online. With an office conveniently located in Stamford, CT, I represent clients throughout the tri-state area in Connecticut, New York and New Jersey.