Lorella Praeli, National Director of Latino Outreach for Clinton Campaign

Lorella Praeli, National Director of Latino Outreach for Clinton Campaign

Hillary Clinton recently hired Lorella Praeli as her national director of Latino outreach. This is an excellent choice. Lorella is a DREAMer. DREAMers get their name from the bipartisan bill called the DREAM Act. The DREAM Act would have allowed young undocumented adults who were raised in the United States to eventually obtain lawful permanent Read More

How Can I Go to School in the United States?

Thousands of foreign students come to the United States every year. Most students attend post-secondary institutions (community colleges, four year universities, or graduate programs). Some attend institutions in the United States as exchange visitors. Others attend institutions as foreign students. Some people can attend school in the United States because they are derivatives of a Read More

When can a person come back to the United States after being deported?

One of the most common questions I hear in consultations or by email inquiries is a variation of, “I was deported. When can I come back to the United States?” The short answer is, “It depends.” There no way to give an accurate answer regarding a specific case without seeing a person’s immigration file and Read More

Department of Homeland Security Has Designated Yemen for Temporary Protected Status

What is Temporary Protected Status? Temporary Protected Status is an eighteen month status for people in the United States who cannot safely return home due to country conditions in their home country. Who can register for Temporary Protected Status? Yemen nationals can register for Temporary Protected Status if they prove that they: Were physically in Read More

When do I have to amend a nonimmigrant work visa petition?

Employers can petition for foreign workers to work in the United States for temporary periods of time. There is a whole alphabet soup of work visas. H-1B, L-1A, and L-1B are the most common nonimmigrant work visas, but there are others (E-1, E-2, E-3, H-1B1, H-2B, O-1, O-2, O-3, P-1, R-1, and TN are also Read More

What is Happening with DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) Now?

When President Obama first announced DACA (Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals) in 2012, applicants were able to apply for work permits that were valid for two years. In November 2014, President Obama expanded DACA and made it a three-year program as well as expanding the number of people who would be eligible to apply for Read More

How to Get the Green Card Through a PERM Labor Certification

One common way an employer can sponsor an employee is through the labor certification process. A labor certification case is extremely complex, so any employer thinking about this type of case should talk to a qualified immigration lawyer. Many of the “rules” are agency memos or FAQs and they change with very little notice. This Read More